10 elderflower heads
500g of sugar
1 lemon zest
1 sliced lemon/orange
1 pint of boiling water
1. Pour the boiling water and sugar in to a big container/bowl.
2. Add the lemon (sliced and zested) and flower heads and stir gently.
3. Cover with a clean tea towel or muslin and leave to ferment overnight in a cool dry place. Stir regularly.
4. Strain through a fine sieve or through filter paper or a muslin .
5. Pour into a sterilised jar and refrigerate.
6. Dilute to taste.
It really is that simple and is so delicious. Unless you put a preservative in, citric acid, it will only last a few weeks in the fridge but you can freeze it for as long as you like really.